The combination of Dark Chocolate and Rum (Old Monk) is a match made in heaven. We used to make rum filled Chocolate bon bons for Christmas which had a sense of festivity to it. Making these babies meant the house would smell of luxurious dark chocolate and a delightful tinge of rum filling the aroma.
Everyone must have an easy to make, no fuss chocolate cake recipe that can be whipped up in minutes. This is me sharing my recipe with you. But to take it up a notch the addition of rum and Christmas sprinkles gives this humble recipe a makeover like no other. You could add brandy or even pepper mint liquor but I personally love love love this combination. As it is so easy to make, I love baking this recipe at midnight as it makes house smell like Christmas when you wake up the next morning.
The best part about this recipe is that you need one large mixing bowl and a whisk to whip up this cake batter, meaning bare minimum wash up. You dump all the ingredients into the bowl and mix until combined. DONE! I have used two types of baking trays, a mini loaf silicon mould and a large loaf (which was gifted to a friend). It keeps in the freezer for up to a month and can be warmed up in the microwave when ready to eat with some vanilla ice cream. Happy Days.
Annika’s xmas. Get ur santa on. Food is love. Food is life. Kill em with kindness. Happy Days. Positive Ninja Vibes.
Flour – 2cups
Cocoa powder – 3/4cup
Castor sugar – 2cups
Baking powder – 1tblsp
Salt – Pinch
Vegetable oil – 1cup
Eggs – 2nos
Yogurt – 1cup
Hot water – 3/4cup
Christmas Sprinkles – 1/4 cup
Rum – 1/2 cup
- Preheat your oven to 180°C. Line your large loaf tin with a drop of vegetable oil and butter paper around the sides.
- In a large mixing bowl add all the dry ingredients and whisk together till combined. Add the wet ingredients into the dry mixture out the hot water. Mix until combined.
- Add the hot water and don’t over mix.
- Pour into the prepared lined tin and top with a the sprinkles.
- Bake for 30-32 mins until the top is cracked and risen.
- When warm out of the oven pour oven the rum and leave to soak in the tin. Once cooled down remove from the tin and slice evenly.
- Serve best when warm with vanilla ice cream.