This is one essential trimming for your dinner or lunch table at Christmas or during this time of the year. The flavours are festive not to mention perfect for as a savoury accompaniment or a sweet accompaniment. It goes beautifully well with Turkey, Chicken and even Duck or on a freshly toasted slice of brown bread. It lasts for up to 3 months in a glass air jar in the fridge. Also, it works perfectly as an edible gift for friends and family this time of year.
Do give it a go! Happy Cooking.
Annika’s Xmas. Get ur Santa on!
Food is love. Food is life. Kill em with kindness. Happy days. Positive Ninja Vibes.
- Red onion(finely sliced) – 2 large nos
- Apple(finely chopped) – 1 large no
- Blueberries/Blackberries – ¼ cup
- Butter – 2tblsp
- Vegetable oil – 1tblsp
- Thyme/Oregano – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon – 1 tsp
- Mixed spice – ½ tsp
- Honey – 1tblsp
- Chicken stock/Red wine – ½ cup
- Freshly cracked Black Pepper – as required
- Salt – as required
- In a medium sauté pan add butter and oil until melted and combined. Add onions with honey and a little salt and cook on low heat for around 15-20 mins until browned and caramelised.
- Add the apples and berries and cook for 5 mins or so until softened. Add the cinnamon powder, mixed spice and herbs and cook for a min.
- Add the stock/wine and cook for another 10-15 mins until thickened, while still on the heat, season to taste and take off heat.
- Let it cool completely before storing in jars. Best served warm or cold.