The term cottage pie is known to have been in use in 1791, when potato was being introduced as an edible crop affordable for the poor however, it is so, only when beef is added to the dish. The usage of lamb or mutton is known as shepherds pie, as, during earlier times the left over pieces of meat (lamb/mutton) which the shepherd gathered and minced together made up this delicious pie, hence being termed as shepherds pie. This dish is a beautiful meal for two, served with toasted garlic bread and a simple side salad. Accompanied by Red wine or chilled Beer. Perfect to warm up your spirit this winter. You could make it in individual ramekins/mugs or you could make it in a pie dish for a family. I have chosen ramekins cause I wanted to use them as they are new. A tried and tested recipe which works even in your sleep.
Annika’s xmas. Get ur santa on!
Food is love. Food is life. Kill em with kindness. Happy days. Positive Ninja Vibes.
For the meat:
- 250gm Lamb/Beef (mince)
- 1 Onion (finely chopped)
- 4 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Carrot (finely chopped)
- 1 Tomato (blended)
- 2 tblsp Ginger garlic paste
- 2 tblsp BBQ sauce
- 1tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1tsp Honey
- 1tsp Cinnamon (powder)
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg (powder)
- 1tsp Oregano (dried)
- 500 mlBeef Stock
- 3 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- Black Pepper powder
For the Mashed Potato:
- 500gm Potatoes (boiled)
- 100ml Milk/Cream (warm)
- 2 tblsp Butter (another tbsp won’t hurt)
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- 100gm Parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 Egg (for egg wash)
For the Meat:
- In a medium sauce pan heat half the vegetable oil and fry off the minced meat until its browned. Take off the heat and transfer to a plate and set aside.
- In the same sauce pan on low to medium heat add a tsp of butter and the rest of the vegetable oil with the onions and cook till lightly browned, this would take atlas 7-10 mins.
- Add the garlic and cook further for 3-4 mins. Add carrot and cook for 2 mins.
- Add the mince back into the pan and stir before adding the ginger garlic paste. Cook for another 2 mins.
- Add the nutmeg and cinnamon and oregano. Stir once again and add the sauces and blended tomato. Let the tomato cook until the mixture is almost dry and finally add the stock. Let it simmer until its thickened but still has some gravy. This should take 10-15 mins on a medium high heat. Season well.
For the Mashed Potato:
- Mashed the boiled potato with the butter, milk, 3/4 of the grated cheese, nutmeg and season well. I like my mashed potato for the pie a little chunky, however you could mash it until its baby food consistency.
- Fill the ramekins 3/4 of the way full with the meat filling.
- Spoon over the mashed potato. Sprinkle with seasoning and additional cheese.
- Egg wash and bake in an oven for 15-17 mins until golden brown on the top.
- Served best with Toasted garlic bread and a pint of chilled Beer. Bon Appetite!