Vegan Chocolate Cake
This cake is dairy free and eggless, making for the perfect vegan chocolate cake. It is rich and indulgent but soft and fluffy. This one bowl wonder is the best vegan chocolate cake you will make.
Large mixing bowl
Medium mixing bowl
8/9 inch round cake tin
- 2 1/2 cup All purpose flour
- 3 tbsp Corn flour
- 2 cups Sugar
- 1 cup Cocoa powder
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup Almond milk
- 1 tbsp Vinegar
- 3/4 cup Coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cup Hot Black Coffee
- 2 cups Dark chocolate melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup Full fat coconut milk
- 1 1/4 cup Icing sugar sifted
- 1/4 cup Cocoa powder sifted
- 2 tbsp Coconut butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla
To make the cake:
In a large mixing bow add the milk and vinegar in the bowl. Leave for a couple of mins this will split the milk and create a “buttermilk”.
Add the oil, vanilla and whisk together. Add all the dry ingredients and stir together until combined.
Add all the hot coffee into the mixture and mix until smooth.
Pour into a lined tin and bake in a preheated oven at 180℃ for 35-38 mins until its risen and a tooth pick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Let it cool for an hour before frosting it.
To make the frosting:
Pour the coconut milk over the melted and cooled chocolate. The chocolate must be cooled after melting or else the frosting won’t firm up. Stir together until combined.
Add the icing sugar and cocoa powder in batches while beating with an electric beater.
Add the coconut oil at the end and finish with vanilla extract.
- Recipe adapted from makeitdairyfree
- Allow the milk and vinegar to sit for a couple of mins before you mix the batter together. This will ensure a tender crumb cake once baked.
- Do not over mix the batter and this will make the cake dense, once it is smooth, pour into the prepared tin and bake.
- Your icing sugar and cocoa powder must be sifted before adding into the frosting.
- If the frosting is not setting, it could be because your kitchen is too hot, pop it into the fridge and continue mixing it.
- If the frosting has gotten very stiff add a little more milk to thin it out.