Horchata is a simple refreshing drink made from rice, water,...Read More
Hot Matcha Latte
This has to be my new favourite hot drink of the season but it is definitely here to stay. The best recipe for an instant mood and energy booster.
I must start this blog and say I am not worthy of matcha. I don’t have the accurate amount of experience and knowledge to unearth the actual intensity matcha has to offer. In saying this I have always been someone to have my matcha lattes at restaurants, cafes and of course Starbucks. But making matcha at home has a different sense of comfort and joy. Not to mention it is calming to say the least. This is a disclaimer that I have to mention at the outset, I am not a traditionalist in this department but I have certainly developed an appetite to build that information, so purists be kind to me and my matcha journey.
In saying this I have made matcha before but this time, the matcha has hit differently as I got my hands on some of the best matcha in dubai, Haiyatea is your go to person for good quality, authentic Japanese tea products including cups, decanters and much more, a few of them can be viewed in the image above. Now, there are a variety of matcha powders available to choose from and honestly if you are new to this then have a chat with her before purchasing so you know what you are buying and what is its best use.
I used the Premium matcha for this recipe but I have made another glass since then using the basic grade matcha as well and it wasn’t the same but it was better than store bought. It is economical and much more efficient to make you lattes at home and one of the best parts has to be the customization, you can add vanilla, maple syrup or even change up the milk as per your choice. I used coconut milk the second time I made this recipe. Just use a milk that can be heated to a simmer (this helps creating the froth for the latte).
Let us talk about equipment for a hot second, I have used a milk frothing whisk. You can whisk the hot milk in a bowl – this will give you larger air bubbles, shake the milk vigorously in a heat proof bottle – this will give you medium bubbles, if you have a stick blender it works like a charm – this will give you the tiniest of bubbles making a very stable foam that lasts long. You don’t need a milk foam but I love it. You can also top the latte with lightly whipped cream for an extra creamy factor. I used a bamboo matcha whisk to get the matcha powder incorporated into the hot water but you can use any whisk you have.
Food Pairing – Serve this latte with a roast chicken salad with orange dressing, a cauliflower and lemon salad as well, it goes well with you breakfast ideas like avocado toast, fried eggs, waffles and pancakes. If you are looking for main dishes I would stick to steamed fish or jasmine rice and steamed veggies.
This drink is best consumed while it is still hot, ideally you can stir it to ensure everything is mixed together. I like dusting a bit of matcha on the top but you don’t have to. Happy Drinking Ninjas!
Homemade Thandai From Scratch
Thandai is a traditional Indian drink made during the festival...Read More
- Small bowl
- Matcha whisk (you could use a regular whisk if you don’t have it)
- Serving glass
- Small container
- Milk frothing whisk (check the write up above for options)
- 5 gm Matcha powder
- 30 ml Hot water
- 200 ml Hot milk
- 2.5 gm Maple syrup
- 2 gm Matcha powder (dusting for the top)
- In a small bowl add the matcha powder and pour over the hot water. Whisk the powder into the water making the motion of a line. Once it has dissolved whisk the mixture vigorously for a min.
- Pour 3/4 amount of the hot milk in a serving glass and pour 1/4 of the remaining milk in a container and froth the milk until it has doubled in volume. I used a milk frothing whisk, it took approximately a minute.
- Pour the maple syrup into the serving glass filled with milk and stir. Pour over the matcha.
- Spoon over the milk foam and dust with matcha powder. Serve immediately.
- I personally like having it without any sweetener but the addition of maple is a personal choice you could also use honey and increase the quantity if you like.
- You can leave the milk foam out but I like the light texture it adds to the drink.
2 thoughts on “Matcha Latte”
Pingback: Haldi Doodh – Annika Eats
Pingback: Matcha holly sugar cookies - christmas baking recipes