Christmas movie recipe inspiration #1 with my classic cheese pizza....Read More
Marry Me Chicken
This recipe is a family favorite. It is the easiest chicken you will make and the most delicious! A fantastic meal with potatoes and green beans for 2 or even a crowd pleaser.
So this is not traditional marry me chicken. In all honesty it is my mothers favourite recipe to make. If you have been a reader for long you’d know that my mother doesn’t like being in the kitchen, meaning she is not much of a cook but she knows how to make a few dishes really well. This recipe is one of them, you best believe it has to be easy, full of flavor and non vegetarian cause she loves her meat.
Good old marry me chicken is filled with cream, parmesan, parsley, garlic and mustard. My version is mixed with sweet, salty, spicy and saucy elements making for a sticky chicken that is lip smacking good. I like to make them with baby potatoes but I have also made them with regular potatoes and sweet potatoes. Served up with some steamed green beans and bread, it makes for a simple and filling meal. You definitely do not need Valentines day to make this for yourself or anyone else.
What ingredients do you need to make this Marry Me Chicken?
I use chicken thigh and leg, bone in with a bunch of pantry ingredients such as BBQ sauce, Worcestershire sauce, soya sauce, GG paste (ginger garlic and chili paste), honey, garam masala, oregano, paprika, chili sauce, salt and pepper. We also add a little lime juice and oil to cook the chicken well. I add onion rings and potatoes into the chicken and serve this up with steamed green beans and bread.
What substitutes can you use?
I used a joint of chicken leg and thigh. You could use either legs or thighs. Also you could mix it up with some wings. But we need the bone on for this recipe so I wouldn’t recommend using the breast or boneless thighs. We can’t make this recipe vegetarian but I have used the marination for cauliflower and it was yummy.
Ginger garlic paste –
I make my paste at home but you could use freshly minced ginger, garlic and green chili. If you are using the store bought paste, taste a tiny amount as they are usually very salty.
Garam masala –
I grind my garam masala at home as well but you can use the store bought packets as they are really good. If you don’t have access to garam masala add 1/2 tsp each of the following spice powders instead: cinnamon powder, clove powder, pepper powder, cardamom powder, cumin powder and nutmeg powder.
Ive used dried oregano but dried thyme or dried rosemary also work well with this recipe. By all means if you have access to fresh, you can use the fresh herbs too.
Chili sauce –
I love using Sriracha hot sauce but any hot sauce/chili sauce you have will work well in this recipe. Avoid a sweet chili sauce as we are adding honey.
It adds the sweetness and caramel like flavor, you could use maple syrup, brown sugar or even agave syrup.
I use fresh lime juice here, lemon juice also works and so does apple cider vinegar. I’ve used balsamic vinegar to and it has turned out yummy.
The recipe calls for baby potatoes as they cook faster, you can use any potatoes you have but cut them up into little quartered pieces as this will help with the cooking time. You can parboil the potatoes for 3 mins in boiling water and this will ensure your potatoes are cooked at the same time as the chicken. But if you follow the recipe you won’t need to worry about this.
What equipment do you need to make Marry Me Chicken?
A mixing bowl to stir the marination around. A heavy bottomed skillet or shallow frying pan. A pair of tongs and some forks. We also need a chopping powder and knife to poke holes into the chicken before adding the marination and to cut the potatoes.
How to make the Marry Me Chicken?
We start by poking holes into the chicken with a knife and add some salt with the lime juice. Let this sit for a few minutes. Let us make the marination, we stir the ingredients together until combined. Pour the marinade over the chicken and ideally you can let this sit in the fridge for 15-30 mins. In a skillet on medium here add a little oil and start by frying the chicken. We want a deep brown color on each side. This should take 2 mins on either side. Once we have enough color, we add the remaining marination from the plate, water, onions and cover with a lid for 5 mins. Add the potatoes and cover again, we let this cook on low heat for 15-20 mins until the chicken has cooked through and the potatoes are soft. The liquid will reduce to form a sticky sauce, have a look at it every now and then to make sure the flame is low and the pan isn’t dry. Once the chicken and potatoes are cooked if there is a lot of sauce, increase the heat and let it reduce uncovered for a couple of minutes. Steam some green beans and slice up your bread in this time. Serve it hot.
Storing and leftovers of the chicken?
You can freeze the raw chicken with the marination for up to 1 month if you have used fresh chicken and not frozen chicken that has been thawed. You could also let this chicken marinate in the fridge for 2-4 hours before cooking. Once the chicken is cooked you can store it in an air tight container for 4 days in the fridge. We love to shred it up and make sandwiched with lettuce, cheese, mustard and pickles. You can use it in salads the next as well.
Now that we have understood how to make this recipe, let’s get cracking and cook some yummy chicken. Happy Cooking Ninjas!
Marry Me Chicken
- Large skillet
- Mixing bowl
- Chopping board
- 4 Chicken leg thigh joints
- 2 tbsp Lime juice fresh
- 1/2 tsp Salt
For the marination:
- 2 tbsp BBQ sauce
- 1 tsp Soya sauce
- 1 tbsp Chili sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp Ginger garlic
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Honey
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 Onion cut into rings
- 6-8 Baby potatoes halved
- 3/4 cup Water
- Steamed green beans
- In a large plate add the chicken. If it is wet, using kitchen paper towel, pat it dry. Poke holes into the chicken with a knife. Add some salt with the lime juice and let this sit for a few minutes.
- Let us make the marination, in a bowl add the BBQ sauce, Soya sauce, Chili sauce, Worcestershire sauce, Honey, Ginger garlic, Garam masala, Oregano, Paprika and stir to combine. Pour the marinade over the chicken and massage the chicken. Ideally you can let this sit in the fridge for 15-30 mins.
- In a skillet on medium here add the oil and start by frying the chicken. We want a deep brown color on each side. This should take 2 mins on either side. Once we have enough color, we add the remaining marination from the plate, water, onion rings and cover with a lid for 5 mins.
- Add the potatoes and cover again, we let this cook on low heat now for 20 mins until the chicken has cooked through and the potatoes are soft. The liquid will reduce to form a sticky sauce. Have a look at it every now and then to make sure the flame is low and the pan isn’t dry.
- Once the chicken and potatoes are cooked if there is a lot of sauce, increase the heat and let it reduce uncovered for a couple of minutes. Steam some green beans and slice up your bread in this time.
- Make sure to serve it hot with the sauce from the pan.
- Use a bone in piece of chicken, ideally legs, thighs and wings.
- Check the write up above for substitutes.
- If you like more sauce, you can take it off the heat once it is cooked and skip step number 5.