These vegan and gluten free treats are delicious and wholesome....Read More
Oatmeal Pancakes | Morning Oats | Baked Oats
The best breakfast recipe ideas that are healthy, delicious and simple to make. This is my oats three ways, we make baked oats, oatmeal pancakes and morning oats that has a sweet and savory option.
Oats are one of those meals that you can have for breakfast and it will keep you going through the day but you could also have for lunch and add some protein in there to make it a wholesome meal. However these are great snack ideas as well. They happen to be healthy and wholesome. These recipes are my go to breakfast recipes on most days in the week. Hence I would recommend making them ahead of time and storing in the fridge as they are great meal prep ideas for the week.
There are a variety of oats available in the supermarket today, they are used for different purposes and multiple recipes. My favorite type of oats has to be the instant and rolled kind. But you can get steel cut oats, stone ground oats, gluten free range of oats, granola, oat flour etc. The finer the oats the lesser the cooking time, thicker the oats longer the cooking time. Hence if you are using steel cut oats for the recipes below you would need to cook it longer. I have used rolled oats, instant oats and oat flour in my recipes.
How to make the Baked Oatmeal?
This recipe is super simple as everything is mixed in a bowl and baked. There are a lot of substitute options in this recipe. We can use honey in place of maple syrup, any milk of your choice. If you want to make this recipe eggless you can use 50 gm yogurt in place of the eggs. The coconut oil is a personal preference but you could use olive oil or melted butter as well. The combination of oats adds for a delicious texture once baked. If you are not a fan of vanilla or cinnamon you can use any flavoring of your choice. The addition of walnuts or almond are delicious.
The trick to make this scrumptious is not over working it and not over baking it. You must not over bake the oatmeal as this will dry it out completely. Once it has risen and it is dry to the touch, take out 0f the oven as it will continue to bake as it cools down. Once it is baked, you can slice it up and store each piece in zip lock bags, it keeps fresh in the fridge for 4-5 days while in the freezer for upto 1 month. Defrost when ready to eat and warm in the microwave.
How to make the Morning Oats?
The simplicity of this recipe doesn’t take away from the deliciousness. We start with instant oats and water in a sauce pan. If you are using rolled oats here it will take a little longer to cook and you would a little more water or milk to cook it through. I have served the oats in two ways because I get bored easily and like to change things up every now and then. To make the sweet version I use coconut oil, dates, walnuts, cinnamon powder and maple syrup. Where as for the savory oats I serve it with boiled eggs, cherry tomatoes, fried onions and sesame seeds. A little olive oil goes a long way and you could use some pesto as well. These oats are best served warm.
How to make the Oatmeal Pancakes?
We start by soaking the rolled oats in the buttermilk for a few minutes. This softens up the oats and makes it easier to cook/digest later. If you do no have butter milk add little lemon juice into regular milk and let that curdle, it will create a thicker texture. If you want really huge pancakes cook 3 tablespoons of batter at a time where as if you want small pancakes, 1-2 tablespoons worth of batter works fine. I like to cook my pancakes in medium sauté pan for 2 min on each side. You know the pancake is ready to flip when there are bubbles rising to the top of the batter. Cook your pancakes on low to medium heat. If it is a nonstick you don’t need to add any oil or butter but for flavor you can do that.
Once these pancakes are cooked they can be stored in zip lock bags and stored in the fridge for 1 week whereas they can be kept in the freezer for up to a month. Heat in the microwave once ready to eat, serve with butter, maple syrup, fresh fruit and nuts.
Now that we have covered how to make this recipes, let us get onto cooking them. Happy Eating Ninjas!
Oatmeal Pancakes | Morning Oats | Baked Oats
- Baked Oats
- Mixing bowl
- 9x13 Baking tray
- Morning Oats
- Small sauce pan
- Small sauté pan
- Oatmeal Pancakes
- Medium sauté pan
- Mixing bowl
- 1 3/4 Milk
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 cup Maple syrup
- 1/4 cup Coconut oil
- 1 Small Banana mashed (1/4 cup)
- 2 cups Rolled oats
- 1 cup Instant oats
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 1/2 cup Berries
- 1/2 cup Instant oats
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/4 cup milk
- Boiled eggs
- Cherry tomatoes
- Sesame seeds
- Fried onions
- Olive oil
- Coconut oil
- Cinnamon powder
- 2/3 cup Rolled oats
- 1 1/3 cup Buttermilk
- 1 Egg
- 1 tbsp Maple syrup
- 1/2 cup Oat flour
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 180℃ and line a 9x13 inch baking tray. I used baking spray you could use butter or oil and set aside.
- In a bowl add all the ingredients except for the fresh berries and stir together until combined. Pour the batter into the prepared tin and top with the fresh berries. Bake for 20-25 mins until cooked through and a little puffed up on the top.
- In a small pan on low to medium heat add the water. Add oats and cook for 1-2 mins. Take it off the heat and add more water to loosen it. You could add milk to loosen it as well.
- Transfer to a bowl/plate and serve as per your liking. I like serving these oats in two ways -
- Sweet Morning Oats, heat a little coconut oil in a pan, add the walnuts, dates, sprinkle some cinnamon, add the maple syrup and stir it around. Once it is hot, take if off the heat and pour over the plated cooked oats.
- Savory Morning Oats, top the plated cooked oats with a boiled egg, some cherry tomatoes, fried onions, sesame seeds and olive oil. You could also use some avocado, pesto or grated cheese.
- In a large mixing bowl add the oats and pour over the buttermilk (this will help it break down in the batter), let this sit for 5 mins before you continue.
- Add all the remaining ingredients until combined.
- In a sauté pan on medium heat add a little butter or oil. Pour 2 tablespoons worth of batter into the pan and cook until bubbles have come to the surface, around 2 mins. Using a spatula, flip the pancake and cook on the other side for 1-2 mins. Transfer to a plate, serve with butter and maple syrup or any toppings of your choice.
- When making the morning oats, ensure the the heat is low as the oats cook really fast. You can add more water or milk to thin it down but I like eating it as if it were a pudding.
- To make the oatmeal pancakes, soaking the oats with the buttermilk helps to break down their structure making it softer and easier to cook.
- Do not over bake the Baked oats as it will dry out in the process.