Happy International Coffee Day Ninjas! This is a simple flavored...Read More
lemon blueberry loaf cake
Fluffy lemon loaf cake studded with fresh blueberries that is drizzled with a zesty icing. A simple but elegant summer tea cake.
I made a lemon drizzle loaf cake and it was so well received on instagram. Many asked for an eggless lemon loaf cake and then that recipe was also well received. So with a punnet of fresh blueberries now going bad in my fridge I thought it only made sense to make a Lemon blueberry loaf cake.
This recipe is so simple, it comes together in a bowl with a spatula and once it is baked looks so pretty and tastes delicious. This lemon loaf is like a pound cake in texture but the blueberries add a juicy jam like element to every bite. The icing on top is totally optional but it adds a layer of sweetness and a zesty freshness to every bite.
How to make the Lemon Blueberry Loaf Cake?
We start by measuring our ingredients before we begin. In a large bowl beat the butter, sugar, lemon zest together until combined. Add the oil and mix again. Add the eggs one at a time and beat well using a rubber spatula. Add most of the flour, all the baking soda, baking powder, salt and vanilla into the butter mixture, fold until almost combined. Add the remaining flour into the blueberries and add it to the batter. Fold until combined. Add the milk and fold together until smooth.
Pour the batter to an 8inch loaf tin that is lined with butter and baking paper. Bake in a preheated oven at 170℃ for 40 minutes. You know it is baked when the cake has risen, it is golden brown on the top and a tooth pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool for a bit before removing from the tin and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Once it is cooled, drizzle with the icing. I made the icing by mashing and mixing fresh blueberries with icing sugar and lemon juice.
Substitutes to make the Lemon Blueberry Loaf Cake
To make this eggless, replace each egg with 50gm yogurt. You could also make this cake with two flaxseed egg.
I have used castor sugar here but you can use coconut sugar or granulated sugar instead. For the icing you must use icing sugar or powdered sugar.
I used all purpose flour to make this cake but you can use cake flour, self raising flour. To make it gluten free you can use gluten free flour mix.
I have used fresh blueberries but you can use frozen. You could also use raspberries, blackberries or even chopped up strawberries.
I actually love using coconut milk in this recipe but any milk works fine.
Serving and storing the Lemon Blueberry Loaf Cake
I have served this cake with the lemon blueberry icing. Which is optional, as the cake is perfect on its own. You can serve this with some tea as it is a tea cake. Once the cake is baked you can store it in the fridge for upto 5 days in an air tight container. I wouldn’t recommend storing this cake longer than a week as there is fresh fruit in it.
Now that we have covered how to make this Lemon Blueberry Loaf Cake you can have a look at the recipe video here but let’s get baking.
If you try this recipe out, don’t forget to share it with me on instagram so I can see how it turned out. I’d love nothing more than to chat with you on your cooking/baking. Happy Eating Ninjas!
Lemon Blueberry Loaf Cake
- Large mixing bowl
- Rubber spatula
- 8inch Loaf tin
- Baking paper
- Small mixing bowl
- 200 gm Sugar
- 110 gm Butter
- 1 Lemon zest
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 190 gm Flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 120 ml Milk
- 150 gm Blueberries
- 10 blueberries
- 50 gm Icing sugar
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 170℃ and line your loaf tin with butter and baking paper.
- In a large bowl beat the butter, sugar, lemon zest together until combined. Add the oil and mix again. Add the eggs one at a time and beat well using a rubber spatula.
- Add most of the flour, all the baking soda, baking powder, salt and vanilla into the butter mixture, fold until almost combined.
- Add the remaining flour into the blueberries and add it to the batter. Fold until combined. Add the milk and fold together until smooth. Pour the batter to an 8inch loaf tin. Bake for 40 mins or until the cake has risen, it is golden brown on the top and a tooth pick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool for a bit before removing from the tin and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. While it cools make the icing by mashing and mixing the blueberries with icing sugar and lemon juice.
- Drizzle on top of the cake once cooled. Slice, serve and enjoy.