Fluffy cinnamon buns rolled with a caramel apple filling that...Read More
Apple Pie Bourbon Syrup
A simple syrup that has all the flavors of apple pie. It is a zero waste recipe as we use the apple peels and core to make it with the addition of cinnamon, maple syrup, brown sugar, vanilla and some bourbon.
This recipe is hug in the form of a syrup. It is so simple and a true leftover makeover that is delicious, taking your simple syrup to the next level. We made a yummy Vanilla spiced pear syrup last week and this syrup is definitely another winner. I have used it to make my Apple Pie Latte and honestly it is yummy.
You can use this syrup with pancakes, waffles, over cakes, in your baked oats, drinks, cocktails or poured over some ice cream as well. A little of this stuff goes a long way and makes for a very simple and effective dessert component.
What ingredients do you need to make this Apple Pie Bourbon Syrup?
We need apple scraps which is basically apple peels and the cores from your apple cooking and baking. Now if you don’t have scraps you can use the whole apple and its will be perfect. I also use a little maple syrup, brown sugar, cinnamon, tapioca starch, salt, water, vanilla, bourbon.
How to make this Apple Pie Bourbon Syrup?
The apple scraps are boiled with maple syrup, brown sugar, cinnamon, tapioca starch, salt and water until thick, transfer it to a bottle and add vanilla with some bourbon. Stir and let it sit until the flavors get to know each other while it cools down completely. At this stage you can strain out the peels and core – what you will be left with is a thinner syrup. What I like to do is blend the mixture in my Nutribullet and then strain it. So we get a thicker and well bodied syrup instead.
Serving and storing the Apple Pie Bourbon Syrup?
We can serve this as your pancake syrup in the morning or with anything you like. I love serving it with the banana pancakes, French toast and waffles. Also, it is delicious in your morning smoothies and oats. Additionally you can use it in the Poison apple martini cocktail, Apple Pie Latte etc. Once the syrup is strained pour into a sterilized bottle and place in the fridge. This syrup can last for a month.
Now that we have covered how to make this Apple Pie Bourbon Syrup, you can have a look at the recipe video on my socials but let’s get to it.
If you try this recipe out, don’t forget to share it with me on instagram so I can see how it turned out. I’d love nothing more than to chat with you on your cooking/baking.
Pumpkin Quinoa Goats Cheese Salad
This vegetarian salad is simple but delicious, filled with fresh...Read More
Apple Pie Bourbon Syrup
- Medium sauce pot
- Wooden spoon
- Glass Bottle
- 2 tbsp Brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Maple syrup
- 1 cup Water
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon powder
- 2 tsp Tapioca starch
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 1/3 cup Bourbon check notes for non alcoholic option
- The apple scraps are boiled in a medium sauce pot over high heat with maple syrup, brown sugar, cinnamon, tapioca starch, salt and water until thick. It will start to bubble and then rise, reduce the heat and let it reduce to half. Around 8-10 mins.
- Take off the heat and transfer it to a heat resistant and add vanilla with some bourbon. Stir and let it sit until the flavors get to know each other while it cools down completely.
- Once cooled, strain out the peels and core (what you will be left with is a thinner syrup) BUT this is what I like to do - blend the mixture together and then strain it. So we get a thicker and well bodied syrup instead.
- Since this is a bourbon syrup and the alcohol is not cooked off I wouldn’t recommend it for consumption for kids.
- If you wan to make this alcohol free, add the same amount of water in the beginning and boil it all together before reducing, cooling and straining.
- If blending the mixture to make the syrup, you can add reduce a little bourbon for consistency. Increase the bourbon up to 1/2 cup and reduce it to 1/4 cup if needed.