These cookies are also biscuits made with almond flour and...Read More
No Milk Hot Chocolate
Rich, creamy and delicious. This hot chocolate recipe has cocoa, dark chocolate, water and tahini. A warming drink to get things heated on Valentines Day.
I made this No Milk Hot Chocolate recipe on a day I craved hot chocolate but had no milk, cream or milk powder. I used water with cocoa powder, a little dark chocolate and tahini to make this drink that turned out to be indulgent, luxurious and packed with the intense hit of chocolate. I have used 80% dark chocolate to add sweetness, if you are using anything above 90% you might need to add some honey, maple syrup or sugar to sweeten up the drink.
Even though this recipe doesn’t call for milk, cream or milk powder, you do not miss it. The creaminess comes from two aspects of this recipe. We reduce the mixture in the sauce pan over the heat which thickens up the hot chocolate and we add tahini off the heat. Which is whisked into the mixture, this not only adds a frothy layer on the top but also emulsifies the oil in the tahini into the hot chocolate making it very rich and velvet like smooth. So tahini is basically ground up sesame seeds, any nut or seed butter is ground in its raw state which releases the natural oils that make it a paste. Hence the oils here create the creamy texture we are after.
If you don’t have any tahini (I love the flavor combination of tahini and chocolate) you can use any nut or seed butter that you like. I’ve tried making this with peanut butter and it tastes like a snickers hot chocolate. I would avoid the sesame seed garnish in that case and add a few toasted peanuts. The recipe is so simple you don’t need much to make it, hence there aren’t many substitutes apart from the ones mentioned above. You can absolutely add vanilla like I did or even a splash of brandy, rum and coffee liqueur to spice things up further.
I would serve No Milk Hot Chocolate with croissants, pastries, cheeseboards, charcuterie boards or even some avocado toast. A few simple deli sandwiches as well. It is not a heavy drink hence you would need to serve something a little substantial to eat alongside it.
Now that we have covered how to make it, let us get stirring. Happy Valentines Day Ninjas!
No Milk Hot Chocolate
- Small sauce pot
- Whisk/Milk Frother
- 1 1/4 cup Water
- 1 tbsp Cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp Dark Chocolate 70%
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 1 tbsp Tahini
- Pinch of Salt
- Sesame seeds
- In a sauce pan on medium heat add the water and cocoa powder. Whisk until there are no lumps. Bring to a boil and add the dark chocolate. Whisk together until melted. Leave the mixture to boil for 5 mins until it has reduced.
- Take off the heat and add the tahini and vanilla. Whisk together. If you are adding any other flavors like Brandy now is the time to do so.
- If you want a little froth on the top whisk the mixture vigorously either with a whisk or a milk frother. Pour into your mug, top with a little salt and sesame seeds. Serve hot or cold with some ice.
- Whisk the cocoa into the water well before it boils to avoid ad lumps.
- Be patient, let the mixture boil and reduce for 5 mins as this will thicken it up.
- Whisk the tahini off the heat as this needs to emulsify into the hot chocolate, which creates the creaminess.
- If you want more hot chocolate inspiration , check out this recipe.